Kids love doing a variety of arts and crafts as an outlet to be creative and have some fun! Little do they know that it is so good for their development as well!
5 Benefits of Arts and Crafts:
- Bilateral Coordination – Crafts such as colouring, drawing, cutting, all require your child to use both of their hands together. This skill is important in other areas including writing, tying shoes, typing and much more!
- Fine Motor Coordination – In order to draw shapes, cut patterns, and write, your child is required to use their fine motor coordination. These skills similarly translate to other areas of their lives including dressing and eating.
- Self Regulation – Crafts that require drying require waiting! This is a great lesson for your child to demonstrate self control and patience. Also, things might not go exactly as we hoped! Crafts are a great way to promote flexibility in your child. There is no right or wrong way in exploring one’s own creativity!
- Self-esteem Booster – Although we want to challenge our kids, it is also important to initially choose arts and crafts that are at your child’s skill level. Completing the crafts successfully will give them a great sense of accomplishment and pride. As you and your child begin to explore more crafts, you can add in more and more challenges.
- Bonding and Fun – Your kids will love spending time with you and creating something together!